Monday, January 14, 2013

Two Recipes and an Anecdote


First, the anecdote. Is it really an anecdote? I don't know. You decide. So, my baby sister Emily is getting married. She's 20. I think the whole thing is preposterous! I don't want to be married before 27. That just seems like the perfect age. Nevertheless, I am so happy that she has found a good fella. He's in the Air Force...and he's a ginger. haha. We very well may end up having the wedding by May, which is crazy; they only got engaged this past weekend! We are also poor kids. So, this is gonna take some real magic. Luckily, I've always dreamed of being a wedding planner. I've been perusing all the budget wedding sites. One of the first tips they give is to sign up for tons of giveaways and sweepstakes...so this morning, I set to signing Em up for everything I could find! I started making the wedding website (of course with colors befitting an Airman and his lady). I've been looking all day at DIY ideas from cakes to centerpieces...and I must say, I do believe we are going to be able to throw an amazing wedding. Rest assured there will be dancin', drinkin', and all the Southern charm we can muster--if I have anything to say about it. Who knows? Maybe I'll make a career out of this fun stuff! If (or when) we pull off these miracles, I'll share my secrets. It is insane how much people pay for weddings. And how expensive venues are! Fo'getta 'bout it! In other news...

Random Tip: Putting honey on your face for 15 minutes moisturizes and clears your pores! It's sticky...but worth it. ;)

So tonight I was in the mood for cookies. Completely unrelated to my dinner plan is this awesome recipe I found a while back on Pinterest. I added some of my own stuff, like I always do. The regular recipe as well as some variations of it (which look delicious but I haven't tried) can be found at this lady's blog. Actually, yeah, just check out her blog! They are Banana Oatmeal Cookies. They're delectable and super healthy. No milk, no eggs, no flour. I substituted Craisins for the raisins and semi-sweet chocolate chips for the nuts. I also added 2 T natural peanut butter and 2 tsp. honey. So freakin' delicious! And full of protein and fiber. I'm going to have them for breakfast. :)

The next recipe on the list is Crockpot Mac and Cheese with Broccoli (via AllRecipes.com). I decided to be a fatty and add more cheese as well as the leftover Canadian Bacon from Eggs Benedict night to make it a more filling/complete meal. Protein is important!

Mmm. Nothing looks yummier than a stock photo.


The Ingredients

-Cooking Spray
-4 cups Cheddar Cheese (or 6 if you're me. haha)
-2-12 oz. cans evaporated milk
-3 cups nonfat milk
-Vegetable Oil
-16 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni (I did the kind of noodles you use for stuffed shells instead, because they're just way better)
-1-14 oz. bag chopped frozen broccoli
-Salt and Black Ground Pepper to taste
-Uncooked Canadian Bacon, torn into small pieces (optional)

Directions

  1. Spray the inside of slow cooker with cooking spray.
  2. Stir uncooked macaroni and vegetable oil together in the slow cooker until pasta is coated.
  3. Stir Cheddar cheese, evaporated milk, milk, broccoli, Canadian Bacon, salt, and black pepper with macaroni until fully combined. 
  4. Cover the cooker and cook on Low until macaroni is tender and the sauce is bubbling, 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring often to reduce sticking.




No comments:

Post a Comment